My favorite wing sauce is Bleu Bayou Sauce but sometimes if I am in the mood for something quick and easy I go for the classic Buffalo sauce. A classic buffalo sauce should be made of pepper sauce and melted butter. I like mine really well-emulsified to give it a creamy and thick texture that sticks to wings. Using an immersion blender and optional xanthan gum in this recipe will really increase the emulsion of your sauce.
- ½ cup of hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- ¼ – ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional; to taste based on heat tolerance)
- A pinch of xanthan gum (optional)
- Heat your pepper sauce and butter until the butter is melted. I like to use the microwave-safe cup that came with immersion blender and microwave on high for 30 seconds at a time until the butter is melted
- Add your cayenne pepper to taste. I like ¼ teaspoon extra for this sized batch, but adjust based on the hot sauce that you are using and your heat tolerance.
- Add a pinch of xanthan gum. This is optional but will make your sauce extra thick and creamy. Xanthan gum can be found in the baking section of most grocery stores.
- Mix very well. I am using an immersion blender, but a regular blender, stand mixer, hand mixer, or whisk will work as well. You want to thoroughly combine all of the ingredients into one smooth sauce.
5. Use immediately. Toss chicken wings or nuggets in a bowl with the sauce, or use as a dip for celery or crackers.
6. Serve wings with homemade bleu cheese dressing and celery sticks.
7. Refrigerate any remaining sauce in an airtight container.