Recently, Shake Shack started a new cooking-along series where they are sharing some of their recipes. They have included my favorite, the cheese sauce. See the video that they shared below, or the written instruction below the video.
- 2 cups of American cheese
- 2 cups of cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp of canola oil
- 1 tbsp of white wine vinegar
- 6 thin slices of jalapeños
- ¾ cup of sliced onions
- ½ tsp of salt
- 2 tsp of peppercorns
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- 2 tsp of white wine
- Sweat the solid ingredients (jalapeños, onions, peppercorns, salt) in oil until onions are translucent.
- Deglaze the pan with white wine vinegar and white wine by pouring them into the hot pan and scraping the bottom until clean.
- Add the cream and then turn off heat and let the mixture steep for 30 minutes.
- Strain cream into a pan, removing all solids.
- Bring the cream to a boil and immediately add cheese, constantly whisking until smooth.